Skip to main content Skip to footer

Animal Services

The Town of Greater Napanee dog licensing program is managed by DocuPet. DocuPet provides a licensing solution that is simple and convenient and includes added benefits for dog owners including the HomeSafeTM Lost Pet Service, designer tag options, and vouchers. Municipal dog licences can be purchased online through DocuPet:

Licences are required for all dogs over 10 weeks old living in the Town of Greater Napanee. They must be renewed every year prior to the expiration date. Failure to present a valid licence will result in a fine of up to $100.00.


Licence Type

Fee Amount



Replacement Tag


Service Dog

No Charge

Please note that Greater Napanee’s dog licensing program now operates on a 365-day cycle. This means that all licences expire the following year on the date they were purchased.

Where can I buy a dog licence?

You can license online in less than 5 minutes and will immediately gain access to your dog’s profile, which is used to reunite you with your dog if it becomes lost. You will comply as soon as you complete the form.

*Please note that your dog tag will be mailed to you within 8 to 10 business days.


If you're looking to renew your dog licence or have licensed with DocuPet in the past, please visit the DocuPet website.

You can also license over the phone by calling DocuPet at 1-855-249-1370.

You can license by mail: 2 Gore St., Kingston, ON, K7L 2L1  license in person at one of the following locations within Greater Napanee:

  • Town of Greater Napanee Municipal Administration Centre (99-A Advance Ave)
  • Roblin Gas Bar (3243 Hwy 41 North Roblin)
  • Camden Variety Store (425 Camden Rd)
  • Critter Comforts (113 Richmond Blvd)

Does my dog have to be licensed?

If you own a dog over the age of 10 weeks in the Town of Greater Napanee, you are required to license it each year.

You can license your dog online, over the phone, by mail, or in person.

What are the benefits of licensing my dog?

It is our responsibility to provide a safe community for our citizens and their pets. Licensing plays an important role in our ability to fulfill this responsibility. A licence allows animal control to identify your dog, get in touch with you, and make decisions that are in the best interest of your dog should it become lost or injured.

The Town has partnered with DocuPet to make every dog licence as valuable to you as it is to animal safety.

Your DocuPet Membership includes:

  • Personalizable Dog Tags with secure online profile
  • The HomeSafe™ Lost Pet Service
  • Designer tag selections
  • A $25 voucher from Ren's Pets
  • Access to great dog safety and wellness products
  • Thanks for supporting animal welfare

Where does the money from municipal dog licences go?

Licensing fees help cover the costs of essential animal services including:

  • Emergency service all year round
  • Feeding, sheltering and safekeeping of impounded animals
  • Supporting the rescue of lost and/or homeless dogs
  • Supporting medical care for sick or injured dogs
  • Public education initiatives within the community

I no longer own my dog - how can I update the Town?

Get in touch with the DocuPet customer service team to update your record by calling 1-855-249-1370 or emailing

As per by-law No. 2015-0067, The Town of Greater Napanee requires a Kennel Licence if there are more than 3 dogs on a property. Please submit an application form for any new applications or annual renewals. The following are the current application fees based on the number of dogs and the date a renewal is received. For more information, please see Town by-law No. 2015-0067. 

Number of Dogs      

Fee (Before March 1)     

Fee (After March 1)    

4-10 dogs 



11-25 dogs 



26 or more dogs 



Learn more about about caring for dogs kept outdoors by viewing the Fact Sheet for Standards of Care for Outdoor Dogs.

Questions about Kennel Licences can be directed to Shannon Kennelly at 613-776-1122.

Dog owners are responsible for following the Town of Greater Napanee's Dog Control By-law when visiting any park or trail within Greater Napanee. Please now that there are no off-leash dog parks located within Greater Napanee. 

When visiting a park or trail, all dog owners must:

  • Abide by all municipal signage when visiting a park or trail with your dog
  • Ensure that your dog remains on a leash at all times in any parks or trails within Greater Napanee
  • Clean up after your dog. Waste can be disposed of in available waste receptacles. If there are none available, please take your pet's waste home with you and dispose of it in the trash. Failure to clean up after your dog can result in a fine.

Please see our Parks and Conservation Areas & Trails pages for a list of parks and trails open to you and your leashed dog.


Why Keeping Your Dog on a Leash in Public Spaces is Important:

Allowing your dog to be off leash in public spaces, or in areas where you may encounter an unfamiliar dog or person, can pose a considerable safety risk. Having a dog off-leash can cause foreseeable injuries or concerns, such as:

  • A child or adult being attacked by an unleashed dog
  • A conflict between two or more unleashed dogs
  • An injury to a dog owner trying to protect their dog from another
  • Having an unleashed dog in an unfenced area could increase the chances of your dog running off and getting lost or hurt
  • An unleashed dog can cause anxiety in a child or adult who is uncomfortable being around unfamiliar dogs
  • There could be materials such as broken glass or debris that could be harmful or hazardous to a dog who is running around

The Dog Control By-law and an Amending By-law regulate the licensing and control of dogs within the Town.

How many dogs can I have?

You can have up to 3 individually licensed dogs per household unless you have a kennel licence.

Who do I call if I have lost my dog or have found a stray dog?

The Town has contracted Frontenac Municipal Law Enforcement as dog control officers for Greater Napanee. If you have lost your dog or have found a stray, please call Frontenac Municipal Law Enforcement at 613-541-3213.

If you have licensed your dog on line, DocuPet’s HomeSafeTM Service can also help. Login to your profile and report your dog lost. An email will go out to community members letting them know how they can help.

How do I complain about barking dogs or poop and scoop?

The Town has contracted Frontenac Municipal Law Enforcement as Dog Control Officers for Greater Napanee. If you have a complaint, please call Frontenac Municipal Law Enforcement at 613-541-3213

My contact information has changed - how can I update the Town.

Get in touch with DocuPet customer service team to update your record by calling 1-855-249-1370 or emailing

The Town of Greater Napanee does not currently have a Cat By-law.

The Napanee Community Kitten Rescue

The Napanee Community Kitten Rescue provides services including adoptions and feral kitten rescues. It is not a shelter.

Adoption, Lost Pets and Shelters

The Lennox & Addington Branch of the Humane Society provides a number of services, including pet adoptions, pet rescue, investigations and lost pets services. For more information, visit the Lennox & Addington Branch of the Ontario SPCA and Humane Society website.

Impacts of Feeding Wildlife at Your Home or in Public Spaces

Feeding wildlife that may be around your property or in public parks is not recommended. If you do have animals around your property, instead of putting out food to feed them, try planting plants that produce flowers, fruit and/or seeds to encourage local wildlife to feed naturally. You can also provide sources of water that you can clean regularly, such as birdbaths. Please see our To Regulate the Feeding of Wildlife By-law for more information. Below is some information on the impacts of feeding wildlife:

Threats to Wildlife
  • Animals can become dependent on artificial food sources
  • Animals can lose their natural fear of humans and pets, becoming more prone to conflict
  • Artificial feed is not healthy for wildlife
  • Wild animals may gather in large numbers when they are being fed. This concentration of animals in one area can spread parasites and disease and cause destruction of natural habitat
  • Feeding animals near roads increases their risk of being hit by vehicles 
Threats to People 
  • Feeding wildlife may attract "unwanted" animals to your property
  • Animals will learn to associate humans with food, and can become a problem to neighbours
  • Habituated animals can become aggressive
  • Feeding animals near roads increases the risk of motor vehicle accidents, resulting in property damage, injury or death
  • Large amounts of bird feces pollute footpaths, eating tables, boardwalks and other facilities where the birds are being fed. This increases the risk of diseases being spread 
Household Dos and Don'ts


  • Appreciate wildlife from a distance
  • Keep household waste and pet food out of reach from wild animals
  • Attract wildlife to your property by improving natural habitat
  • Work together with your neighbours to help keep wild animals wild
  • Seal compost to keep animals out


  • Put out food to attract wildlife
  • Try to approach or touch wild animals
  • Feed pets outdoors or allow pets to roam free
  • Put garbage out before 6 pm the night before you collection day 

How can I help with sick, orphaned or injured wildlife?

Please visit the Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre or call 613-354-0264

Where can I find more information on fish and wildlife?

Please visit The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.

Can I claim compensation for livestock killed by wildlife?

Through the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food's Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program, livestock and poultry producers are entitled to make claims to the Town for livestock losses attributable to attacks by wildlife.

What do I do if I believe I have suffered a loss of livestock due to predation? 

If you believe your livestock or poultry has been killed or injured due to predation by wildlife:

1) Immediately notify a Livestock Valuer. Do not remove the carcass from the attack site as the Valuer will want to examine the area for evidence to help determine the cause of the loss; or

2) During business hours, you may report a livestock loss by contacting the Town Hall at 613-354-3351.

Who are the Town Livestock Valuers?

The Town has appointed the following people to serve as a Livestock Valuer:

1. Aggie Hill - 613-776-1143

2. Josh Matson - 613-484-3390

3. Brent Kelly - 613-766-1124

What happens when I contact the Livestock Valuer?

The Livestock Valuer will:

1) Attend on-site and make a full investigation; and

2) Submit a written report with ten (10) days to the Town

A copy of the report will be provided to you. The Livestock Valuer's report provides details regarding the extent of the damage to the livestock or poultry and the amount of compensation claim awarded. The Livestock Valuer must also state in the report whether or not the livestock or poultry was killed or injured by wildlife.

What are the Maximum Amounts of Compensation?

Provincial regulations establish maximum amounts of compensation.

What if I do not agree with the Municipal Valuer's report?

If you do not agree with the Municipal Valuer's report, you may appeal to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), in writing, within 30 days of receiving the valuer's report. A cheque or money order for $25, payable to the "Minister of Finance" must accompany the appeal. The $25 fee will be refunded if the appeal is upheld.

Where do I call to report animal cruelty?

The public can report animal welfare concerns by calling 1-833-926-4625, and calls will be triaged and dispatched for response by the most appropriate local entity. For more information, please see the Ministry of the Solicitor General website.

For information on Agriculture within the Town of Greater Napanee, please see our Agriculture page.

Sign up for Newsroom Updates

Stay up to date on the Town of Greater Napanee's activities, events, programs, and operations by subscribing to our Newsroom.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.