Skip to main content Skip to footer

Applications, Licences and Permits

Information is available for the following applications, licences and permits:

  • To Certify Copy of Document - $5.00
  • Death Registration (billed yearly) - $15.00 for Standard Service - 1 Business Day or $40.00 for Expedited Service - outside office hours.
  • Road Closing Request  - $500.00 application fee & $3,000.00 deposit against expenses
  • Photocopies - $0.25/page
  • Process Information Request under the Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy (MFIPPA) Act - $5.00/application
  • Photocopies for MFIPPA Requests - $0.25/page
  • For Manually Searching a Record - $7.50 for each 15 minutes spent by any person

Visit the Budget and Finance page for more information.

To apply for an Ontario Birth or Death Certificate, please visit the ServiceOntario website.

Visit the Building Permits page for more information.

Visit the Burn Bans, Permits and Open Air Burning page for more information.

Commissioner for taking Oaths - Please contact Shannon Kennelly at 613-776-1122 to book an appointment. Please note the following fees for Commissioner for Taking Oaths:
 1. To commission a prepared document - $10.00
 2. To prepare and commission a document - $20.00
 3. To commission multiple documents - $20.00

Visit the Animal Services page for more information.

Visit the Animal Services page for more information.

Visit the Land Use Planning Services page for more information.

Lottery Licences can be obtained by appointment only. Please contact Shannon Kennelly at 613-776-1122 to schedule an appointment.

Lottery Licences can be obtained by submitting a Lottery Licence Application Form:

Lottery Licence Application Forms 

In Ontario, lottery licensing is administered through policies established by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is "Charitable Gaming" and how is it regulated in Canada?

"Charitable gaming" refers to lottery schemes permitted by a license under the Criminal Code of Canada. Typically these may include bingos, raffles, break open tickets and social gaming events held by charitable and religious organizations. Charitable organizations are regulated by licensing policies and the terms and conditions of the licences issued by the province or municipalities under authority of an Order-in-Council.

2. Who can get a licence to conduct a lottery?

Canada's Criminal Code only permits charitable and religious organizations to conduct lottery schemes to raise funds pursuant to an issued lottery licence. Organizations must have a demonstrated charitable or religious mandate to qualify.

The courts have determined that the term "charitable" refers to organizations which provide programs for:

  • the relief of poverty;
    the advancement of education;
    the advancement of religion; and
    other charitable purposes beneficial to the community.
  • The following are prerequisites to be considered eligible for a lottery licence:
  • Organizations must have been in existence for at least one(1) year;
  • Organizations must have a place of business in Ontario;
  • Organizations' primary purpose must be to provide charitable services in Ontario; and
  • Organization must use the proceeds of any lottery scheme for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents.

The primary purposes of an organization are determined by considering:

  • the mandate of the organization as set out in its incorporation documents or documents stating the organization's objectives;
  • the objectives of the organization as described in its application for licence; and
  • the services which have actually been provided by the organization to the community.

3. What types of lotteries do municipalities licence?

Under Order-in-Council 2688-93, municipalities may issue licences to conduct the following lottery schemes:

  • Bingo events with prize boards up to $5,000;
  • Media bingo events;
  • Raffle lotteries for total prizes up to $50,000;
  • All break open ticket lotteries not licensed by the provincial office; and
  • Bazaars (Bingo maximum $500; Raffle maximum $500; maximum 3 wheels of fortune).

4. How does my organization apply for a lottery licence?

  • Determine what type of lottery scheme your organization intends to conduct.
  • Obtain the appropriate application form from the Greater Napanee Municipal Administration Centre (99-A Advance Ave) or online or the province.
  • Complete the form according to the instructions on the form and the policies provided by the Town or as set out in the guide for that lottery event and submit it along with the applicable licence fee to the Town.

5. Do I have to include anything with the application form?

First time applicants should, in addition to the materials required with the application as identified in the lottery licensing policies, provide the following information or documents:

  • A copy of its articles of incorporation or constitution and/or by-laws
  • A copy of its budget or financial statements for the preceding and coming years
  • Any other information that will assist in determining the charitable nature of the objects and purposes. This could include an annual report, charitable number for income-tax purposes, the fact that it meets the reporting requirements of the Charities Accounting Act.
  • The proposed use of proceeds must be consistent with the primary objects and purposes of the organization which must be of a charitable nature consistent with at least one of the four classifications of charitable purposes

6. What types of organizations are not eligible for charitable lottery licensing purposes?

The types of organizations which cannot be considered charitable include:

  • social clubs
  • professional associations, unions, employee groups
    elected representative groups including municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments
  • government ministries, agents or bodies
  • political lobby groups
  • political parties
  • adult hobby groups
  • private sports clubs (e.g. golf/curling)
  • adult sports teams

7. How much does a lottery licence cost?

Lottery licence fees are set at 3% of the total value of the prize(s).

8. How long does it take to process my application for a lottery licence?

For organizations that have previously held a municipal lottery licence, up to 5 business days is required from the time the completed lottery licence application and documentation are submitted to the Greater Napanee Municipal Administration Centre (99-A Advance Ave) until the licence is issued. This will ensure efficient and accurate licensing of all organizations.

9. Lottery Licence Terms and Conditions

Marriage Licences are available by appointment only. Please contact Shannon Kennelly to schedule an appointment or for more information.

Town of Greater Napanee issues marriage licences for couples getting married in Ontario. A marriage licence is valid for 3 months from the date it is issued and is valid for use anywhere in Ontario. The marriage licence fee is $125.00 (paid by cash, interac (debit) or online).

Application Process:

1. The Marriage Licence Application Form must be completed and submitted online. 

2. You will receive an email (please check your junk folder) with your completed application attached. Please print this form. Both parties must sign the printed form.

3. Bring 2 pieces of ID each, and divorce documentation, if necessary, to your appointment. Photocopies will not be accepted. If only one person is present, documents for the absent party are still required.

4. Appointments take place at the Town of Greater Napanee Municipal

Administration Centre located at 99-A Advance Avenue. Appointments can be made during regular business hours (Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.). Complete applications will be processed in under 10 minutes. The licence fee must be paid at this time.


Both parties must provide identification.

Examples of accepted ID include the following:

  • a valid passport;
  • an original birth certificate and any change of name certificates;
  • a record of immigrant landing;
  • a Canadian Citizenship card;
  • a permanent resident card

Applicants must have one piece of government-issued photo ID, for example:

  • a valid driver's licence
  • Ontario photo ID card

There are no requirements regarding residency, pre-marital blood tests or medical certificates.

Age of Consent

Any person who is at least 18 years old may marry in Ontario. Any person who is 16 or 17 years old (other than a widow, widower or divorced person) may only marry with the written consent of their legal guardian. A special consent form is available from the Town for this purpose.

Requirements if either party has been divorced

If the divorce was dissolved or annulled in Canada:

  • the original or court certified copy (from the same court in which the divorce or annulment was granted), of the Final Decree or Certificate of Divorce.
  • the Divorce Order is not acceptable.

If the divorce was granted outside Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

You will need to send the following documents to the Office of the Registrar General:

  • Marriage Licence Application Form - completed and signed
  • Statement of Sole Responsibility - for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
  • Legal Opinion Letter from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • Divorce Decree or Annulment, an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Note: Completed Foreign Divorce Authorizations are sent to applicants by courier. It is important that your full mailing address including suite/unit/apartment and buzzer number is included on the marriage licence application form, or the courier package cannot be delivered and returned to the Office of the Registrar General.

Please mail these documents directly to:

Office of the Registrar General
Marriage Office
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8

You can also contact the Office of the Registrar General to have a sample legal opinion letter faxed to your lawyer.

For more information: call 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free).

Please visit our Mobile Vendors page for more information. 

A permit must be obtained for any temporary outdoor patio. Outdoor patios are permitted for from May 1-September 30th of each year, subject to the regulations in the Town's Outdoor Patio By-law 04-38.

To obtain a licence, the below application form and supporting documents must be dropped off at 99 Advance Avenue or emailed to

Please contact Shannon Kennelly at or 613-776-1122 for more information. 

Please see the Town's Outdoor Patio By-law.

Please see the Town's Outdoor Patio Application

Visit the Municipal Road Services and Maintenance page for more information.

Special Occasion Permits: For outdoor events, the AGCO will require the applicant to provide notification to local authorities. To notify the municipality that you will be serving alcohol outdoors, please complete and submit an Municipal Notification for an AGCO Special Occasion Permit form. You will receive an email confirmation when notification is received, which you can attach to your application in the iAGCO portal.  If the event is open to the public and the applicant is neither a registered charity nor non-profit organization, a Letter of Municipal Significance is required to obtain a Special Occasion Permit. For inquiries on a letter of Municipal Significance, please contact Jessica Walters. To apply for a SOP, please visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website.

Taxi owners and drivers operating within the Town of Greater Napanee must all be licensed annually with the Town. Please contact Shannon Kennelly at 613-776-1122 for more information. 

Please see the Town's Taxi Licensing By-law.

Please see the Town's Application Form for Taxicab Owner's License.

Please see the Town's Application Form for Taxi Driver's License.

For information in alternate formats, please contact Hollie Knapp-Fisher

Sign up for Newsroom Updates

Stay up to date on the Town of Greater Napanee's activities, events, programs, and operations by subscribing to our Newsroom.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.