Adolphustown is where the Loyalists landed in 1784 and where they established new settlements after being routed from their homes in the new American republic to the south.
Adolphustown recorded a number of firsts:
- First Town Hall meeting (1792)
- First General Court of Quarter Session, in a barn (1794)
- The province's first Methodist Church (1792), still standing on the south shore of Hay Bay. The Methodists held their first camp meeting in Adolphustown and an annual Sunday service is still held in the Old Hay Bay Church.
The Adolphustown settlers found an abundance of water routes in Hay Bay and the Bay of Quinte. Among the most prominent features today are the Adolphustown Provincial Park and the United Empire Loyalist Centre in the park.
Adolphustown was one of the smaller townships, comprising of only 11,500 acres, after a portion was sliced off by the govenor and given to Fredericksburgh as the Fredericksburgh Additional. At first the village of Adolphustown was called Hollandville, after Surveyor-General Major Samuel Holland. It was later named after Adolpus, Duke of Cambridge, the seventh son of King George III.
For a short time, Adolphustown was also the home of Sir John A. Macdonald in his childhood, who was nine years old when he moved there with his family.
Source: "Lennox & Addington" by Orlando French