Marriage Licence Applications

Please note that due to the current COVID-19 situation, our municipal offices are closed to the public until further notice. Marriage licences are not available at this time.

Application Process:

1. The Marriage Licence Application Form must be completed, printed and submitted in person to the Community & Corporate Services Department at 41 Dundas St. W (County Memorial Building) by appointment only during regular business hours (Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) The licence fee must be paid at this time. 

2. Both parties must sign the printed form.

3. Bring ID and supporting documents for both parties. If only one person is present, documents for the absent party are still required. Completed applications will be processed in 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Marriage licences are only issued to the Applicant and/or Joint Applicant.


Both parties must provide identification.

Accepted identification is one of the following:

  • a valid passport; 
  • an original birth certificate and any change of name certificates; 
  • a record of immigrant landing;
  • a Canadian Citizenship card; 
  • a permanent resident card

and one piece of government-issued photo ID, for example:

  • a valid driver's licence
  • Ontario photo ID card

There are no requirements regarding residency, pre-marital blood tests or medical certificates.

Age of Consent 
Any person who is at least 18 years old may marry in Ontario. Any person who is 16 or 17 years old (other than a widow, widower or divorced person) may only marry with the written consent of his/her legal guardian. A special consent form is available from the Town for this purpose. 
Requirements if either party has been divorced  

 If the divorce was dissolved or annulled in Canada:

  • the original or court certified copy (from the same court in which the divorce or annulment was granted), of the Final Decree or Certificate of Divorce. 
  • the Divorce Order is not acceptable.

If the divorce was granted outside Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

You will need to send the following documents to the Office of the Registrar General:

  • Marriage Licence Application Form - completed and signed
  • Statement of Sole Responsibility - for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
  • Legal Opinion Letter from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • Divorce Decree or Annulment, an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Note: Completed Foreign Divorce Authorizations are sent to applicants by courier.  It is important that your full mailing address including suite/unit/apartment and buzzer number is included on the marriage licence application form, or the courier package cannot be delivered and returned to the Office of the Registrar General.

Please mail these documents directly to:

Office of the Registrar General
Marriage Office
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6L8

You can also contact the Office of the Registrar General to have a sample legal opinion letter faxed to your lawyer.

For more information: call 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free).


Contact Us