Candidate Information

Interested in running for municipal office? The documents below can help answer the most common questions. We will continue to update this section as we get closer to the election and as new resources become available.

Nominations can be filed between May 2 and August 19, 2022. We will not accept nomination forms before May 2 at 8:30 AM.

New for 2022: Filing of Nominations will be by appointment, to ensure sufficient staff resources are available to assist candidates at the time of filing. Please contact the Clerk’s Department at 343-302-5238 to schedule an appointment.

The list of Certified Candidates will be published on Monday, August 22, 2022.

Candidate Eligibility 

A person is eligible to run for the office of Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Ward Councillor if, on the day the nomination is filed, that person is:

  • A Canadian citizen;
  • At least 18 years of age or older; and
  • A resident of the Town of Greater Napanee; or
    • The owner or tenant of property in the Town of Greater Napanee; or
    • The spouse of an owner or tenant of property in the Town of Greater Napanee; and
  • Not otherwise disqualified from holding municipal office.
  • For the position of Ward Councillor: A candidate is not required to live or own property within the Ward they are seeking to represent.

The following are ineligible to run for municipal office:

  • Any person who is not eligible to vote in the municipality;
  • An employee of the Town of Greater Napanee who has not taken an unpaid leave of absence. Note: Volunteer firefighters are not considered employees for the purpose of eligibility;
  • A judge of any court;
  • An MP, an MPP or a Senator; and
  • A candidate who failed to file the candidate financial statement or exceeded the prescribed spending limit in the last municipal election.
Process for Candidate Nominations 

Municipal Election nominations open on May 2, 2022. What can potential candidates do right now?


Candidates can:

  • Start gathering 25 signatures for nomination forms 
  • Book an appointment with election staff for filing nomination papers
  • Contact election staff for information about elections, campaigning and public office

Candidates cannot:

  • Fundraiser for their campaign before their nomination is certified by the Clerk
  • Spend money on their campaign before their nomination is certified
  • File nomination papers before May 2


  • Nomination Papers must be signed by the candidate and at least 25 signatures from eligible voters in the Town of Greater Napanee. Completed forms must be delivered in person to the Clerk’s Department at 41 Dundas Street along with the filing fee. ($200 for nominations for Mayor, $100 for all other offices).
  • We ask that Candidates make an appointment with staff to submit nomination forms, to ensure that dedicated staff time may be set aside to review important election matters with you.  

  • Note that a Candidate can only be nominated for one office (i.e. Mayor or Deputy Mayor or Ward Councillor or School Board Trustee). A Candidate may switch the office they wish to run for by filing a new nomination form before the deadline of 2:00 PM on August 19, 2022. 

Withdrawing a Nomination 

Candidates may withdraw their nomination up to the deadline of 2:00 PM on August 19, 2022. If a candidate decides they no longer wish to run they must:

  • Meet in person with the Clerk;
  • Bring the completed Withdrawal of Nomination Form; and
  • Bring photo identification

If an Agent is bringing in the withdrawal form on behalf of a Candidate, they must also bring a completed Agent Appointment Form (if one has not already been filed) and ID for both the Candidate and Agent. 

Candidate Resources 

Need more details? Check out the Candidate Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Candidate FAQs:

 Who is eligible to be a Council candidate?

To run for office in the Town of Greater Napanee, the individual must be:

  • A Canadian citizen
  • At least 18 years of age
  • A resident of the Town of Greater Napanee, or
  • An owner or tenant of land in the Town of Greater Napanee, or the spouse of the owner or tenant
  • Not legally prohibited from voting
  • Not disqualified by any legislation from holding office
Who is not eligible to be a Council candidate? 

Candidates must not be the following:

  • A judge of any court
  • A member of Provincial Legislature, the Federal House of Commons or Senate who has not resigned from their office by the close of nominations
  • A candidate who failed to file the necessary financial statement in the last municipal election or by-election
When can interested candidates file their nomination paperwork? 

Individuals can file their nomination paperwork beginning Monday, May 2, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. and up until Friday, August 19, 2022 by 2:00 p.m. Nominations must be filed by appointment.

Is it possible to file your nomination online? 
 Unfortunately, candidates must file their nomination papers in-person or by an election staff at the Community & Corporate Services office (41 Dundas St W), by appointment.
When will the nomination papers be available? 

The 2022 Municipal Election nomination forms are currently available on the Town’s website. Hard copies can be picked up at the Community & Corporate Services Office at 41 Dundas St W, Napanee.

 What items do I need to file my nomination paperwork?
The nomination must be completed in full and filed in person by the candidate or an agent of the candidate and include:


a)  Identification suitable to the Clerk;

b)  Nomination Paper- Form 1;

c)  Endorsement signatures from 25 people who are eligible to vote in the municipality- Endorsement Signatures- Form 2; and

d)  Application filing fee ($200 to run for Mayor and $100 to run for all other positions).

 Do I have to open a separate bank account as a candidate?
You must open a bank account exclusively for your campaign if you accept any contributions of money (including contributions from yourself or your spouse) or incur any expenses. You cannot use your personal bank account for campaign finances, even if you are planning a very small campaign. All contributions—including contributions you make to yourself—must be deposited into the campaign bank account. All expenses must be paid for from the campaign account.
 When can I campaign?
Candidates can only start campaigning after the nomination papers are filed. Candidates may campaign up until the end of Voting Day.
How does a candidate choose which Ward to run in? Do you have to live in the Ward you are running for? 
A candidate can run for office in the ward of their choice. You do not have to live in the same ward you are running in. However, you do have to vote from the address at which you reside. For example, if you live in Ward 2, but are running in Ward 3, you have to vote in Ward 2.
 Do I have to resign from my position on a Town's Advisory Committee or Board if I become a candidate?
There is no requirement to resign from an Advisory Committee or Board.


Who can contribute to my campaign? 

Only individuals (including yourself or your spouse) are permitted to contribute to your campaign. Corporations and Unions are not permitted to make contributions.

 What is the contribution limit from other people (other than yourself or your spouse)?
 There is a $1,200 limit that applies to contributions from other individuals.
 When do I receive a copy of the Voter's List?
 A copy of the Voter’s List is provided on written request on or after September 1 for the specific office you are running for.
How often does Council meet? 

Council meets on average two times per month, and individual members may also be appointed to committees. You can view the current Council Meeting Schedule on our website.

 How much do the Mayor and Councillors get paid?
The 2022 annual salary rates are:

Mayor - $31,650

Deputy Mayor - $20,493

Councillor - $18,619

The Mayor and Deputy Mayor also receive an additional salary from the County of Lennox & Addington as members of County Council. 

Can I withdraw my nomination? 
 Yes, the last day to withdraw a Nomination form is Friday, August 19, 2022 at 2 p.m. 


Interested candidates are encouraged to make an appointment to file paperwork. To schedule an appointment, please contact Jessica Walters or Katy Macpherson.


Financial Reporting Requirements and Campaign Expense Limits 
  • Campaign expenses and fundraising are regulated through the Municipal Elections Act.
  • You cannot raise or spend any money on your campaign until you file your nomination paper. The earliest you can file your nomination paper is Monday, May 2, 2022. When your nomination paper is filed, the Clerk's department will provide you with a preliminary statement of campaign expense limits and more information about your financial reporting requirements. Please note that while election staff can direct you to resources and instructions, they cannot assist you in completing your forms, provide advice, or verify the accuracy of the information you provide. Each Candidate is responsible for filing a true and accurate statement to the best of their knowledge.
  • All Candidates (including acclaimed or withdrawn Candidates) are required to file a financial statement using the prescribed form. Candidates should review the Financial Statement form prior to incurring any contributions or expenses.
  • Financial reports are due between January 3 and March 31, 2023. 

Note: The entire Financial Report is considered a public document. These documents may be inspected by any person upon request at the Clerk's office during normal office hours and are also available online.

All financial reports will be posted on the Town's website. This includes a listing of the names and address of all contributors. You may wish to consider advising contributors that their personal information will be public and displayed on the Town’s website after the election. The information remains on the website until after the next municipal election.

Information for Candidates for School Board Trustees 

Visit the Ontario Municipal & School Board Elections website for more information about the 2022 School Board Elections. (This website is also available in French.)

Forms for Candidates

Forms will be added as we get closer to the nomination period.

For fillable versions of these forms, please contact the Returning Officer.

Town By-laws and Policies 

Contact Us